Skip to main content

Vermont: Prison Resources

ACLU of Vermont
137 Elm Street
Montpelier, VT 05602
Phone: (802) 223-6304 
Fax: (802) 223-6304

  • The American Civil Liberties Union of Vermont is an organization of Vermonters dedicated to the defense of individual rights guaranteed by the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, as well as the Vermont Constitution.
  • Must be a civil liberties issue.
  • The ACLU has three main criteria for taking a case: 1. The case must involve a civil liberties issue. 2. The case must be one that affects not just the individual filing the complaint, but potentially a number of people with the same, or similar, problem. 3. The legal claims of the case have a reasonable chance of success if the case goes to trial.

Burlington Community Corrections Service Center
50 Cherry Street
Burlington, VT 05401
Phone: (802) 863-7457

  • Parole and probation supervision is provided by the Vermont Department of Corrections through its Community Corrections Service Center. In addition to parole and probation supervision, offenders may be sentenced by courts to a pre-approved furlough. The offender remains in the community, however if a violation occurs the offender may be remanded to a regular correctional facility to complete his/her sentence. Recently released prisoners may be required to attend a treatment program such as drug/alcohol counseling, domestic violence/anger management, or sexual misconduct counseling. Correctional specialists may assist with job searches, but Vermont's Career Resource Centers are used most frequently.

Legal Services Law Line of Vermont
274 North Winooski Avenue
Burlington VT 05401
Phone: (800) 639-8857        
Fax: (802) 651-4130

  • Provide free consultation, advice, and community education for low income Vermonters. Where possible, Law Line tries to connect a client with a full service attorney through the Vermont Volunteer Lawyers Project, the South Royalton Legal Clinic, Vermont Legal Aid, or Vermont Protection & Advocacy.

Northern New England Tradeswomen, Inc.
51 Park Street
Essex Junction, VT 05401
Phone: (804) 878-0004, ext. 101

  • The Northern New England Tradeswomen program runs vocational education programs in the women's correctional facility in Vermont. Internet technology and building trades are taught. The program offers follow-up/advocacy pre- and post-release. Staff will speak to potential employers and take recently released offenders to job interviews. The organization also makes housing referrals if necessary and plans to incorporate transitional housing in the near future.

Office of the Defender General (Public Defender)   
6 Baldwin Street
Montpelier, VT 05633
Phone: (802) 828-3168
Fax: (802) 828-3163

  • The Defender General provides representation to needy persons in the criminal justice system.

Office of Health Care Ombudsman of Vermont Legal Aid  
P.O. Box 1367
Burlington VT 05402
Phone: (800) 917-7787 
Fax: (802) 863-7152

  • If you have a problem with your health care or health insurance, you can get free help from the Office of Health Care Ombudsman by calling them at (800) 917-7787     

Vermont Association for Justice (VTAJ)
1 Main Street, Suite 305
Burlington VT 05402
Phone: (802) 861-7999
Fax: (802) 861-7995

  • The Vermont Association for Justice was formed to promote greater proficiency and effectiveness among its members in all phases and types of litigation, and to sponsor, support or oppose legislation to best serve the administration of justice and the cause of advocacy. You can find out about Vermont attorneys by using their Attorney Locator at

Vermont Attorney General    
109 State Street
Montpelier, VT  05609-1001
Phone: (802) 828-3171
Fax: (802) 828-2154

  • The Vermont Attorney General is the chief law enforcement officer in the State.

Vermont Bar Association
P.O. Box 100
Montpelier, VT 05601
Phone: (802) 223-2020
Fax: (802) 223-1573

  • The Vermont Bar Association is a professional association of attorneys who practice in Vermont.

Vermont Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service    
Phone: (800) 639-7036

  • The Vermont Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service can provide you with a list of lawyers with experience with different kinds of legal problems. The initial ½ hour consultation is only $25.

Vermont Department of Corrections
103 South Main Street, 6 South
Waterbury, VT 05671
Phone: (802) 241-2442
Fax: (802) 241-2565

Vermont Department of Employment and Training
5 Green Mountain Drive
P.O. Box 488
Montpelier, VT 05601
Phone: (802) 828-4000
Fax: (802) 828-4022

  • Information about State Department of Labor resources may be of interest to: potential employers looking for incentives to hire individuals with criminal histories; service providers and individuals with criminal histories who are looking for assistance in finding employment; and researchers and policy makers looking at current programs to ascertain what programs are effective and serve their intended purpose.
  • Community Resource Centers are Vermont's One Stop Career Resource Center system. The centers offer a comprehensive assortment of employment and job training programs, including labor market information, career development, assessment services, and specific programs for designated categories such as migrant workers, dislocated workers and unemployment services. Staffing at the centers include staff from other community resource partners such as human services, employment and training services, and community college representatives. Computers, with Internet access, are available. One-on-one consultations, as well as group workshops in job readiness, are held.

Vermont Department of Health
108 Cherry Street
Burlington VT 05402
Phone: (800) 464-4343
Fax: (802) 865-7754

  • The Vermont Department of Health assists with ensuring compliance with the Rental Housing Health Code.

Vermont Department of Health Access
312 Hurricane Lane, Suite 201
Williston VT 05495
Phone: (802) 879-5900
Fax: (802) 879-5919

  • The Office of Vermont Health Access (OHVA) runs many health insurance programs including Medicaid, VHAP, VScript, and Dr. Dynasaur.

Vermont Department of Housing and Community Affairs
National Life Building, 6th Floor One National Life Drive
Montpelier, VT 05620
Phone: (800) 662-4553
Fax: (802) 828-2928

  • The Housing Division of the Vermont Department of Housing and Community Affairs is dedicated to the goal of increasing and maintaining safe and affordable housing for all Vermonters.

Vermont Legal Aid
Phone: (800) 889-2047        

  • Are you low income? Are you a victim of abuse? Do you have a disability? Are you 60 years old or older? Do you have a health insurance question or problem? Do you have concerns about your long-term care? You may be able to get free legal help from Vermont Legal Aid or Legal Services Law Line of Vermont. Call us to find out if you qualify.
  • Vermont Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm established in 1968 to provide free civil legal services to Vermonters who are low-income, elderly and those with disabilities. VLA serves the community by providing information, advice and representation in the areas of health care, housing, education, family law, benefits, and consumer law. We serve all of Vermont through six regional offices in Burlington, Montpelier, Rutland, Springfield, St. Johnsbury, and Waterbury.

Office locations (6)

264 North Winooski Avenue
Burlington VT, 05402
Phone: (802) 863-5620
Fax: (802) 863-7152

  • Counties served: Addison Chittenden Franklin

7 Court Street
Montpelier VT, 05601
Phone: (802) 223-6377 
Fax: (802) 223-7281

  • Counties served: Lamoille Orange Washington

57 North Main Street
Rutland VT, 05701
Phone: (802) 775-0021  
Fax: (802) 775-0022

  • Counties served: Addison Bennington Rutland

56 Main Street, Suite 301
Springfield VT, 05156
Phone: (802) 885-5181
Fax: (802) 885-5754

  • Counties served: Windham Windsor

St. Johnsbury
177 Western Avenue, Suite 1
St. Johnsbury, VT 05819
Phone: (802) 748-8721 
Fax: (802) 748-4610

  • Counties served: Caledonia Essex Orleans

Vermont State Hospital (no client intake)
121 South Main Street
Waterbury, VT 05676
Phone: (802) 241-3222 
Fax: (802) 241-3239

  • All counties served

Vermont Offender Work Programs
Vermont Department of Corrections

37 Commercial Drive
Waterbury, VT 05676
Phone: (802) 241-1103

  • The Vermont Offender Work Programs (VOWP) offers training in furniture making, printing, sheet metal sign construction, wood sawing, and phone assistance for the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles. VOWP has a partnership with a private manufacturer under the PIE program. (Prison Industry Enhancement - a public/private partnership program sanctioned and regulated by the federal government allowing for interstate sale of offender manufactured goods.) A certification of skills is being developed to validate vocational skills acquired.

Vermont Protection and Advocacy
141 Main Street, Suite 7
Montpelier VT 05602
Phone: (802) 229-1355

  • Vermont Protection and Advocacy defends and advances the rights of people with disabilities.

Vermont State Board of Parole
103 South Main Street, Ladd Hall
Waterbury, VT 05671
Phone: (802) 241-2294

  • The Vermont State Board of Parole makes decisions concerning parole release, however it is not responsible for supervision once a person is released on parole. Parolees are supervised by Community Corrections staff, which is under the supervision of the Vermont Department of Corrections.

Your tax deductible gift can help stop human rights violations and save lives around the world.