Human Rights Education
Resources for educators and students about how to defend dignity and equality at home and abroad
The Basics: What are human rights?
Children’s rights around the world
Making sure all children in the world can go to school and get a good education
What is happening to children with disabilities in Serbia
Education for children from Syria who live in Lebanon
Lead is a metal that is found in the earth
What is happening to some children in Armenia
The Expert: Hone your activism skills
Take our online seminar for human rights advocacy. This series of 7 short videos, hosted by Human Rights Watch’s children’s rights advocate Jo Becker, will give you an insider’s look at how you can work to bring meaningful change to people’s lives. The videos were made in conjunction with Columbia University. Also, check out Becker’s book, Campaigning for Children.
Our Foundation: The Universal Declaration of Human Rights
Start a book club
2. A Long Way Gone: Memoirs of a Boy Soldier Ishmael Beah
3. Torture: Does It Make Us Safer? Is It Ever OK? Kenneth Roth and Minky Worden, ed.
4. King Leopold’s Ghost: A Story of Greed, Terror and Heroism in Colonial Africa Adam Hochschild
5. Masses in Flight: The Global Crisis of Internal Displacement Roberta Cohen and Francis M. Deng
6. Disposable People: New Slavery in the Global Economy Kevin Bales
7. The Unraveling: Central African Republic Marcus Bleasdale & Peter Boukcaert
8. The Evolution of International Human Rights Paul Gordon Lauren
9. War Crimes: Brutality, Genocide, Terror, and the Struggle for Justice Aryeh Neier
10. A Problem from Hell: America and the Age of Genocide Samantha Power
Start a film club
3. Cartel Land
4. Enemies of the People
5. The Green Wave
6. Jung: In the Land of the Mujaheddin
8. The Reckoning: The Battle for the International Criminal Court
9. Return to Homs
10. Camp 14: Total Control Zone
11. The First Grader
12. War Witch
Attend Our Annual Film Festival in a City Near You!