There are many ways to make a planned gift to Human Rights Watch as a steadfast partner, keeping the world on the side of compassion and equality, save lives, and secure justice.
This is your opportunity to make an impact on the future of human rights – one that will ensure that together we continue to improve the lives of people around the globe for decades and generations to come.
Wills and Living Trusts
Legal Name: Human Rights Watch Inc.
“I give to Human Rights Watch Inc., of New York, NY, Tax ID# 13-2875808 (all, or __ percent of) the rest, residue and remainder of my estate for its general purposes."
To make it straightforward and easy for you to begin your estate planning, we've partnered with FreeWill and Giving Docs. Click on either logo to start the process of writing your will at no cost to you.
* By clicking on FreeWill or Giving Docs, you will be directed to an external website which is not owned by Human Rights Watch.
Charitable Gift Annuities
A charitable gift annuity is a simple contract between you and Human Rights Watch. This type of donation can provide you with regular payments and allow us to serve children in need around the world.
How it Works
- You irrevocably donate $10,000 or more in cash, securities, or other property to Human Rights Watch.
- You and/or your beneficiary receive fixed annual payments for life at a very attractive rate based on the age of the beneficiaries.
- You can begin receiving payments immediately (if you are 60 or older) or defer payments for a year or more.
- You are eligible for an immediate tax deduction. If you donated appreciated assets, you may save on capital gains taxes as well.
- The principal passes to HRW after the lifetime of the income beneficiaries.
Explore the income and tax benefits you may receive by establishing a Charitable Gift Annuity.
Use this calculator to see estimated tax deductions and payments that may result from some types of planned gifts offered by Human Rights Watch.
Charitable Remainder Trusts
A charitable remainder trust, or CRT, is an irrevocable trust designed to convert your highly appreciated assets, such as real estate, stocks, mutual funds or even a business, into an income stream. This income stream is either for life, or for a period that you specify, and it does not generate estate and capital gains taxes. In addition, a tax deduction is allowed at the time you create your trust. Your funds are held separately and invested for payment of a fixed or variable income to you and/or someone else you name. Whatever remains in the trust after their lifetimes or specified time period is distributed for the charitable purposes you direct.
- Quarterly income for life, which can be paid to you, your spouse, or other beneficiaries.
- Potential for growth of income over time
- Investment diversification
- No capital gains tax on gifts of appreciated assets
- Charitable income tax deduction
- Gift and estate tax savings
- Supporting the future of Human Rights Watch
Trusts should always be drafted or reviewed by your attorney or other advisors. You may choose to serve as the manager (or trustee) or engage the services of others to do so. We can generate a personalized Charitable Remainder Trust proposal and give you access to financial professionals that are highly proficient in Charitable Estate Planning. They can manage your CRT assets appropriately and at a very competitive cost.
Gifts by Beneficiary Designation
It only takes three simple steps to make this type of gift:
- Contact your retirement plan administrator, insurance company, bank, or financial institution for a change-of-beneficiary form.
- Decide what percentage (1 to 100) you would like us to receive and name us on the beneficiary form.
- Return the completed form to your plan administrator, insurance company, bank, or financial institution.
Sample Beneficiary Designation Language
To designate Human Rights Watch as a beneficiary designation of a qualified retirement plan or another financial account, please use the following information:
Legal Name: Human Rights Watch
Address: 350 5th Avenue, Fl. 34
New York, NY 10118
Tax ID#: 13-2875808
We know how important it is to speak to real people when making important financial decisions. If you need more information about leaving a legacy gift for Human Rights Watch, you can contact me directly.
This information is not intended as legal, accounting, or other professional advice. For assistance in charitable planning, consult a lawyer for legal advice or the service of a qualified professional.