ACLU of Texas State Headquarters
P.O. Box 12905
Austin, TX 78711-2905
Phone: (512) 478-7300
Fax: (512) 478-7303
- The ACLU of Texas is proud to be the eighth largest ACLU affiliate in the United States, with more than 17,000 card-carrying members across our state. Sustained by a dedicated board of directors, a small staff and dozens of dedicated volunteers, the ACLU of Texas and its predecessor, the Texas Civil Liberties Union, have been at the forefront of the struggle for civil rights in Texas since 1938.
- The ACLU of Texas advocates personal privacy , freedom from unreasonable searches, religious liberty, humane treatment of prisoners, reproductive rights, and freedom from unconstitutional discrimination.
ACLU of Texas Houston Regional Office
1214 West Gray
Houston, TX 77019
Phone: (713) 942-8146
Fax: (713) 942-8966
- The Association of X-Offenders, Inc. (TAX) provides self-help support group, information, referrals, mentoring, and religious ministry.
Austin Resource Center for the Homeless (ARCH)
Location: 500 East 7th St. (at Neches)
Web Site: http://www.frontsteps.org/
- This is a multi-purpose facility designed to meet the needs of many segments of the homeless population. The ARCH is made up of three components: a 100-bed shelter for men, a day resource center, and a health clinic for all homeless persons. The shelter capacity will be expanded to 250 men during extreme weather.
Exodus Ministries, Inc.
4630 Munger Avenue, #10
Dallas, TX 75204
Phone: (214) 827-3772
- Exodus Ministries, Inc. provides aftercare and transitional services to people with criminal records by providing a place to live, employment training and placement, life skills and transportation.
Federal Bonding Program
Project RIO, Texas Workforce Commission
1117 Trinity Street, Room 202T
Austin, TX 78778
Phone: (512) 463-0834
Fax: (512) 936-3090
- The Federal Bonding Program provides fidelity bonding insurance coverage to individuals with criminal histories and other high-risk job applicants who are qualified, but fail to get jobs because regular commercial bonding is denied due to their backgrounds.
Fundamentals of Construction and Understanding Self Travis County, Criminal Justice Planning
209 West 9th Street, Suite 260
Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 854-4764
- Fundamentals of Construction and Understanding Self (FOCUS) is a correctional vocational program at a state prison in East Austin, TX. The six-week program, taught by Austin Community College faculty, is available to inmates who are residents of Travis County, have a 7th grade educational level and volunteer for the program. Enrollees receive 180 hours of hands-on instruction in all basic construction skills, carpentry, electrical, plumbing and masonry. Participants also receive certification in First Aid, CPR and OSHA. Sixty hours of life skills training prepares an individual for reintegration into society. Instruction includes cognitive life skills and family psychotherapy, as well as post-release therapeutic aftercare, case management and job placement assistance. FOCUS collaborates with local community-based organizations, businesses and government offices.
Goodwill Industries of Southeast Texas and Southwest Louisiana
460 Wall Street
Beaumont, TX 77701 Phone: (409) 838-9911
Fax: (409) 832-1822
- Goodwill Industries provides training, skill development and work opportunities for people with disabilities and other barriers to employment.
Goodwill Industries of Houston
Houston, TX 77098 Phone: (713) 699-6311
Fax: (713) 529-5302
- Goodwill Industries of Houston offers assistance to individuals with criminal records who are referred to them by the Texas Rehabilitation Commission or Texas Workforce Commission. Instruction in soft skills, such as resume writing, interview techniques, and workplace responsibilities is given. Basic computer skills as well as basic accounting and finance techniques are taught. Job training for employment at Jiffy Lube is also available.
600 Jefferson, Suite 900
Houston, TX 77002 Phone: 713-654-1919
- HoustonWorks USA is the largest operator of workforce centers in the Houston and greater Harris County region. These centers provide local access to job search services and programs for adults 18 years and older. Three youth centers have been established within the Fifth Ward, Third Ward, and East End communities to address the unique job search concerns of youth between the ages of 14 and 25. Training is available in career fields such as healthcare, business, computers and education. Additional information about HoustonWorks USA is available by calling 713-655-WORK.
InnerChange Freedom Initiative
Carol S Vance Unit
Richmond, Texas 77469
Phone: (281) 277-8707
Fax: (281) 277-8701 Contact: Gayle Foster Email: email@example.com Website: http://www.ifiprison.org/state-programs/texas Texas IFI Director: Tommie Dorsett
Reentry Manager: Marlon Smith
- Operates re-entry program for prisoners upon release; provides resources to prisoners and families of prisoners
- Located at the Carol S. Vance Unit near Houston Texas, IFI offers programming for 300 offenders. Offenders who are classified as "minimum-in" or lower custody may be assigned to The Carol Vance facility.
- Currently, only those offenders returning to the Houston and Dallas/Ft. Worth area may participate in the program.
Legal Aid of Northwest Texas Toll Free: (888) 529-5277 . Website: http://www.lanwt.org/
Office locations (15):
Abilene 500 Chestnut, Suite 901 Abilene, TX 79604 Local: (325) 677-8591 Toll free: (800) 933-8591 Fax: (325) 676-9229
- Counties served: Callahan, Fisher, Haskell, Jones, Mitchell, Nolan, Scurry, Shackelford, Stephens, Stonewall, Taylor, Throckmorton, Coleman and Eastland
Amarillo 203 West 8th, Suite 600 Amarillo, TX 79101 Local: (806) 373-6808 Toll free: (800) 955-6808 Fax: (806) 376-8056
- Counties served: Armstrong, Carson, Collingsworth, Dallam, Deaf Smith ,Donley, Gray, Hansford, Hartley, Hemphill, Hutchinson, Lipscomb, Moore, Ochiltree, Oldham, Potter, Randall, Roberts, Sherman, Wheeler
Brownwood 300 North Fisk Avenue Brownwood, TX 76802 Phone: (325) 646-8659 Fax: (325) 646-6070
- Counties served: Brown, Comanche, Coleman, San Saba, McCulloch, Mills
Dallas 1515 Main Street Dallas, TX 75056 Phone: (214) 748-1234 Legal Staff Fax: (214) 760-7839; (214)748-1159; or (214) 748-8773 Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program Fax: (214) 698-1106
- Counties served: Dallas
Denton 625 Dallas Drive, Suite 350 Denton, TX 76205 Local: (940) 383-1406 Toll free: (800) 955-1407 Fax: (940) 382-7797
- Counties served: Denton, Cooke, Jack, Montague, and Wise
Fort Worth 600 East Weatherford Street, 2nd Floor Fort Worth, TX 76102 Local: (817) 336-3943 Toll free: (800) 955-3959 Fax: (817) 877-0804; (817) 649-4759 Counties served: Tarrant, Johnson, Somervell, Erath, Palo Pinto and Hood
Lubbock 1220 Broadway Street, Suite 1601 Lubbock, TX 79401 Local: (806) 763-4557 Toll free: (800) 933-4557 Fax: (806) 765-7201
- Counties served: Borden, Cochran, Crosby, Dawson, Dickens, Gaines, Garza, Hockley, Kent, Lubbock, Lynn, Terry, Yoakum
McKinney 901 North McDonald Street, Suite 702 McKinney, TX 75069 Phone: (972) 542-9405; (972) 984-1638 Toll free: (800) 906-3045 Fax: (972) 548-2410
- Counties served: Collin, Fannin, Grayson, Hunt & Rockwall
Midland 212 North Maine Street, Suite 101 Midland, TX 79701 Phone: (432) 686-0647 Toll free: (800) 926-5630 Fax: (915) 682-7907
- Counties served: Glasscock, Howard, Martin, Midland, Reagan, Upton
Odessa 620 North Grant Street, Suite 410 Odessa, TX 79761 Phone: (432) 332-1207 Toll free: (800) 955-1207 Fax: (432) 334-6848
- Counties served: Ector, Andrews, Crane, Loving, Ward, Winkler
Plainview 305 West 7th Street Plainview, TX 79072 Phone: (806)293-8491 Toll free: (800) 955-8491 Fax: (806) 296-0786
- Bailey, Briscoe, Castro, Floyd, Hale, Hall, Lamb, Motley, Parmer, Swisher
San Angelo 17 South Chadbourne Street, Suite 403 San Angelo, TX 76903 Phone: (325) 653-6982 Toll free: (800) 284-5180 Fax: (325) 655-9012
- Counties served: Coke, Concho, Irion, Menard, Runnels, Schleicher, Sterling, Tom Green
Waxahachie 110 East Main Street, Suite 200 Waxahachie, TX 75165 Local: (972) 923-3344 Toll free: (866) 614-3344 Fax: (972) 923-9955
- Counties served: Ellis, Kaufman
Weatherford 100 Austin Avenue, Suite 208 Weatherford, TX 76806 Phone: (817) 594-6332 Toll free: (800) 967-6708 Fax: (817) 594-7017
- Counties served: Parker, Erath, Hood, Palo Pinto. Johnson, Somervell
Wichita Falls 703 Scott Avenue Wichita Falls, TX 76301 Phone: (940) 723-5542 Toll free: (800) 926-5542 Fax: (940) 723-1551
- Counties served: Archer, Baylor, Childress, Clay, Cottle, Foard, Hardeman, King, Knox, Wichita, Wilbarger, Young
Lone Star Legal Aid Phone: (800) 773-8394 Website: http://www.lonestarlegal.org/Index.htm
- Lone Star Legal Aid is a non-profit law firm, operating as the fourth largest legal aid organization of its type in the United States. We provide free civil legal assistance to low-income individuals and families who have immediate needs but cannot afford an attorney.
Office locations (13):
Angleton 126 North Velasco Angleton, TX 77515 Phone: (979) 849-6464 Toll free: (800) 244-5492 Fax: (979) 848-0682
Beaumont 2345 IH-10 East, Suite 3 Beaumont, TX 77704-2552 Phone: (409) 835-4971 Toll free: (800) 365-1861 Fax: (409) 835-5783
Bellville 1304 South Front Street Bellville, TX 77418-3305 Phone: (979) 865-9133 Fax: (979) 865-8564
Belton 512 South Main Belton, TX 76513 Phone: (254) 939-5773 Fax: (254) 939-3767
Bryan 200 East 24th Street, Suite A Bryan, TX 77803 Phone: (979) 775-5050 Toll free: (800) 570-4773 Fax: (979) 775-5053
Galveston 2200 Market Street, Suite 301 Galveston, TX 77550 Phone: (409) 763-0381 Toll free: (800) 551-3712 Fax: (409) 762-5739
Houston 1415 Fannin Street Houston, TX 77002 Phone: (713) 652-0077 Toll free: (800) 733-8394 Fax: (713) 652-3814
Longview 140 East Tyler, Suite 150 Longview, TX 75601-7240 Phone: (903) 758-9123 Toll free: (800) 866-0821 Fax: (903) 758-1817
Nacogdoches 414 East Pillar Street Nacogdoches, TX 75961-5511 Phone: (936) 560-1455 Toll free: (800) 354-1889 Fax: (936) 560-5385
Paris 115 First Street Southwest Paris, TX 75460-0041 Phone: (903) 785-8711 Toll free: (800) 925-5802 Fax: (903) 785-5990
Texarkana 1425 College Drive, Suite 100 Texarkana, TX 75503-1425 Phone: (903) 793-7661 Toll free: (800) 568-3857 Fax: (903) 792-2150
Tyler 110 North College, Suite 302 Tyler, TX 75702 Phone: (903) 595-4781 Toll free: (800) 248-0048 Fax: (903) 595-3370
Waco 900 Austin, Avenue, 7th Floor Waco, TX 76701 Phone: (254) 756-7944 Toll free: (800) 299-5596 Fax: (254) 756-3381
Mothers/Fathers for the Advancement of Social Systems (MASS Inc.)
P.O. Box 225067
Dallas, TX 75222
Phone: (214) 821-8810
- Mothers [Fathers] for the Advancement of Social Systems, Inc. (MASS Inc.) is a non-profit organization that provides support services for individuals released from Texas State Prison. Services include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals in securing housing, employment, counseling, and any necessary support that eases re-entry transition. Another important mission of MASS is to help free innocent individuals who are imprisoned.
Prisoner Reentry Initiative Pre-Release Program
Two Financial Plaza, Suite 370
Huntsville, Texas 77340 Phone: (936) 437-2840 Contact: Pam Carey, RRPD - Program Specialist Website: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/pgm&svcs/pgms&svcs-pri-pre-release-pgm.htm
- The mission of the Prisoner Reentry Initiative (PRI) Pre-Release Program is to assess and identify the reentry needs of its participants and to resourcefully facilitate their reintegration process.
- Program Overview: The program is designed is to meet the needs of the offenders while favorably impacting recidivism rates. Facilitated through a three phase model; the 90-day program includes screening, assessment, and targeted programming on areas that will address the offender's needs. This design offers the offenders the opportunity to develop a plan of action that can be utilized once they reenter the community.
One-Stop Centers Website: www.twc.state.tx.us
- A list of one-stop centers and affiliate agencies that offer employment and training services.
Project Rio Project RIO Staff
Texas Workforce Commission
101 East 15th Street, Room 506T
Austin, TX 78778 Phone: (800) 453-8140
- After release, TWC Project RIO staff provide participants with individualized workforce development services including job preparation and job search assistance. RIO participants attend structured job search workshops that focus on basic skills such as completing a work application, preparing a resume and performing in a mock interview. The most important aspect of the TWC Project RIO program is securing employment as soon as possible after release. Project RIO staff ensure that potential employers are aware of and take advantage of special incentives for hiring applicants with a criminal record, including certifying employees for the Work Opportunity Tax Credit program.
State Attorney General.
Office of the Attorney General
300 West 15th Street
Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 463-2100
Fax: (512) 494-8017
- Employers and service providers may obtain information from the state attorney general regarding occupational bars, the licensing of individuals with criminal records in certain jobs, and whether the state has laws that limit what employers may ask job applicants or protections against employment discrimination based on a criminal record
The State Bar of Texas
Austin, TX 78701 Phone: (512) 463-1463
Fax: (512) 463-1475
Texas Department of Criminal Justice 209 West 14th Street
Austin, TX 78770
Phone: (512) 463-9988
TDCJ: Community Justice Assistance Program 209 West 14th Street, Suite 400
Austin, TX 78701
Phone: (512) 305-9300
- The Community Justice Assistance Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice administers community supervision and adult probation in Texas. Community supervision officers assess each probationer's level of risk and needs using a standard assessment tool and then using the results to design an appropriate supervision plan. The plan includes the conditions stipulated by the courts when the offender is sentenced. Services include education and employment programs, and substance abuse treatment.
TDCJ: Parole Division
8610 Shoal Creek Boulevard
P.O. Box 13401, Capitol Station
Austin, TX 78711
Phone: (512) 406-5250
- The Parole Division of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice supervises offenders released from prison who are serving out their sentences in the community. The Division also performs some pre-release functions by investigating the parole plans proposed by inmates and by tracking parole eligible cases and submitting them for timely consideration by the Board of Pardons and Paroles. In addition, the Parole Division supervises inmates in two pre-release programs, the Pre-Parole Transfer Program and the Work Program. Participants in these programs remain in secure facilities, but are able to participate in special programs.
TDCJ: Rehabilitation Programs Division
P.O. Box 99
Huntsville, TX 77340
Phone: (936) 437-2180
Fax: (936) 437-6299 Contact: Madeline Ortiz Website: http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/pgm&svcs/pgms&svcs-home.htm
- The Rehabilitation Programs Division was created to effectively coordinate activities between the divisions of the Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ). The Rehabilitation Programs Division has broad-based responsibilities that encompass every division within the agency to ensure programs and services are administered efficiently and with consistency. Emphasis is placed on the rehabilitation and re-entry of offenders into the community.
TDCJ: Sex Offender Rehabilitation Program
Two Financial Plaza, Suite 370
Huntsville, TX 77340
Phone: (936) 437-2870 Contact: Joseph A. Bon-Jorno
- Sex Offender Education Program (SOEP) consists of a four-month curriculum to assist sex offenders determined to pose a lower re-offense risk or who may be releasing to a lengthy term of supervision. This curriculum is provided in a didactic format, providing information on a variety of topics (e.g., Healthy Sexuality, Anger and Stress Management, Interpersonal Relationships, Cognitive Restructuring).
- Sex Offender Treatment Program (SOTP) consists of an eighteen-month intensive treatment program in a therapeutic community environment to assist sex offenders determined to pose a higher re-offense risk. The SOTP involves three treatment phases employing a cognitive-behavioral model. The primary goal of the program is to reduce the rate of re-offense and move the participant toward a more pro-social lifestyle. All three phases occur in a Therapeutic Community environment, providing necessary behavior modifiers that allow offenders immediate feedback about their behavior and treatment progress.
Texas Health and Human Services Commission
Office of the Ombudsman
Mail Code: H-700
P.O. Box 85200
Austin, TX 78708-5200 Phone: (877) 787-8999
Fax: (512) 706-7130 TTY: 1-888-425-6889 or 1-512-438-3087
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Website: http://www.hhsc.state.tx.us/index.shtml
Texas Law Help: Website: http://texaslawhelp.org/TX/index.cfm/index.cfm
- TexasLawHelp is a one-stop website where low-income Texans can get information about their legal rights and find out about free legal assistance in their area.
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid Phone: (888) 988-9996
- Texas RioGrande Legal Aid (TRLA) is a nonprofit organization that provides free legal services to the residents of Southwest Texas who are unable to afford the fees of attorneys in private practice. In eight of the counties, TRLA also provides representation in criminal cases through its Public Defender Division. TRLA also serves migrant and seasonal farm workers throughout the states of Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee and Kentucky.
Office locations (15):
Alpine 114 North 6th Street
Alpine, TX 79830 Phone: (432) 837-1199 Fax: (432) 837-9946
- Counties served: Brewster | Culberson | Jeff Davis | Pecos | Presidio | Reeves
Austin (main) 4920 North I-35
Austin, 78751 Phone: (512) 374-2700 Toll free: (800) 369-9270 Fax: (512) 447-3940
- Counties served: Bastrop | Blanco | Burnet | Caldwell | Hays | Llano | Mason | Travis | Williamson
Austin-Telephone Access to Justice Office Phone: (512) 374-2777 Toll free: (888) 988-9996 Fax: (800) 759-1943
- Counties served: Travis County
Bee County Regional Legal Defender 331A North Washington Street
Beeville, 78102 Phone: (361)358-1925 Toll free: (877) 854-3874 Fax: (361) 358-5158
- Counties served: Bee | Live Oak | McMullen
Corpus Christi (Pueblo Office) 102 Pueblo
Corpus Christi, 78405 Phone: (361) 880-5400 Toll free: (800) 840-3379 Fax: (361) 883-7615
- Counties served: Brooks | Duval | Jim Wells | Kenedy | Kleberg | Nueces
Corpus Christi Courthouse (Nueces) Nueces County Courthouse
901 Leopard, Room 105
Corpus Christi, 78401 Phone: (361) 888-0111 Toll free: (800) 420-1501 Fax: (361) 888-0705 Website: www.co.nueces.tx.us
Del Rio 902 East 11th Street
P.O. Box 964
Del Rio, 78841-0964 Phone: (830) 774-8300 Toll free: (800) 369- 0489 Fax: (830) 768-0997
- Counties served: Kinney | Terrell | Val Verde
Del Rio-Regional Public Defender Phone: (830) 774-8300 Toll free: (830) 774-9656
- Counties served: Edwards | Kinney | Terrell | Val Verde
Eagle Pass 542 East Main Street
P.O. Box 2001
Eagle Pass, 78853 Phone: (830) 773-6151 Toll free: (800) 369-0467 Fax: (830) 773-5806
- Counties served: Dimmit | Frio | La Salle | Maverick | Uvalde | Zavala
Edinburg 316 South Closner Boulevard
Edinburg, 78539 Phone: (956) 393-6200 Fax: (956) 383-4688 Toll free: (800) 369-0437
- Counties served: Hidalgo | Jim Hogg | Starr
El Paso 1331 Texas Avenue
El Paso, 79901 Phone: (958)515-5100 Toll free: (800) 369-2792 Fax: (915) 544-3789
- Counties served: El Paso | Hudspeth
Harlingen 308 East Harrison Avenue
Harlingen, TX 78550 Phone: (956)423-3111 Toll free: (800)269-2651 Fax: (956) 423-2674
- Counties served: Cameron | Willacy
Kerrville P.O. Box 650
Hunt, TX 78024 Phone: (830) 238-7243 Fax: (830) 238-7243
- Counties served: Gillespie | Kerr | Kimble | Mason
Laredo 1702 Convent Avenue Laredo, TX 78040 Phone: (956) 718-4600 Toll free: (800) 369-2741 Fax: (956) 727-8371
- Counties served: La Salle | Webb | Zapata
San Antonio (Main) 1111 North Main Avenue
San Antonio, 78212 Phone: (210) 212-3700 Toll free: (800) 369-0356 Fax: (210) 212-3774
- Counties served: Atascosa | Bandera | Bexar | Comal | Crockett | Edwards | Gillespie | Guadalupe | Karnes | Kendall | Kerr | Kimble | Medina | Real | Sutton | Wilson
San Antonio-Telephone Access to Justice Office Phone: (210) 212-3767 Toll free: (888) 988-9996 Fax: (888) 486-4755
- Counties served: Bexar
San Antonio Family Justice Center 527 North Leona #48-2
San Antonio, 78207 Phone: (210) 218-6800 Fax: (210) 208-6815
- Counties served: Bexar
Sinton Law Center 113 East Sinton Street
Sinton, 78387 Phone: (361) 364-1133 Toll free: (800) 420-1994 Fax: (361) 364-5747
- Counties served: Aransas | Bee | Live Oak | McMullen | San Patricio
Victoria Law Center 1501 East Red River Street, Suite B-1
Victoria, 77901 Phone: (361) 576-1274 Toll free: (800) 234-1274 Fax: (361) 576-1633
- Counties served: Calhoun | DeWitt | Goliad | Gonzales | Jackson | Lavaca | Refugio | Victoria
TRLA: Southern Migrant Legal Services Office-- Nashville 311 Plus Park Boulevard, Suite 135
Nashville, TN 37217 Phone: (615) 750-1200 Toll free: (866) 721-7828 Fax: (615) 366-3349
- Counties served: Kentucky | Tennessee | Arkansas | Alabama | Mississippi | Louisiana
Texas Lawyers Care
P.O. Box 12487
Austin, TX 78711
Phone: 512-463-1463, ext. 2155
Web Site: www.lsnt.org/referral/
- A referral directory of legal services offices and other advocacy agencies that assist low-income Texans on non-criminal matters is available through Texas Lawyers Care.
Texas Workforce Commissions 101 East 15th Street, Room 618
Austin, TX 78777
Phone: (512) 463-0735
Fax: (512) 475-2321
- Information about State Department of Labor resources may be of interest to: potential employers looking for incentives to hire individuals with criminal histories; service providers and individuals with criminal histories who are looking for assistance in finding employment; and researchers and policy makers looking at current programs to ascertain what programs are effective and serve their intended purpose.