Corrections to our publications
Human Rights Watch strives to maintain the highest level of accuracy in our reporting. This includes a commitment to correcting errors or clarifying facts that appear in our publications in a timely fashion. Corrections appear both on this dedicated webpage and at the bottom of the publication that contained the error.
We cannot reply individually to all corrections requests, but all such requests that specify the exact nature of the alleged inaccuracy and the publication (title, page number / web address and date) in which it appeared will be reviewed. If you believe you have found an inaccuracy in our materials, please contact us.
Errors contained in social media posts under Human Rights Watch and staff accounts will also be corrected in a prompt and transparent manner.
Or Send Your Corrections to:
Attention: Corrections to the Human Rights Watch Website
Human Rights Watch
350 Fifth Avenue, 34th Floor
New York, NY 10118-3299
- June 5, 2013
In its news release of June 6, 2013 on Yemen, Human Rights Watch stated incorrectly that on June 4, “prison authorities removed intravenous feeding tubes from the 22 hunger strikers.” The news release has been corrected to state that on June 4, “22 prisoners removed their intravenous feeding tubes.”
- May 1, 2013
The Nigeria press release published on May 1, 2013 entitled, “Nigeria: Massive Destruction, Deaths From Military Raid,” incorrectly stated that Senator Maina Lawan said “six” other victims were buried in separate locations. The corrected version online reads: “Senator Maina Lawan, the federal senator representing Baga, told Human Rights Watch, based on a two-day site visit on April 25 and 26, that some 220 people had been buried in three cemeteries, while eight others had been buried in separate locations.” Also, the press release incorrectly stated that “the military team said they visited two graveyards in Baga but could only identify 32 fresh graves.” The corrected version reads: “The government’s National Emergency Management Agency said it visited two graveyards in Baga but could only identify 32 fresh graves.”
- April 24, 2013
The Russia report of April 2013 contains the following errors:
- On page 37, the new treason law broadened the definition of treason by “Adding to the list of actions that can constitute state treason the provision of ‘...consultative or other assistance to a foreign state, an international or foreign organization, or their representatives in activities against the security of the Russian Federation.’” The sentence had previously quoted the list of actions that can constitute state treason as, “‘financial, material and technical, consultative or other assistance to a foreign state, an international or foreign organization, or their representatives in activities against the security of the Russian Federation.’”
- On page 38, in the sentence, “It includes international organizations among the list of subjects that can be recipients of state secrets, providing that the crime was committed by a foreign citizen or a stateless person,” the clause, “providing that the crime was committed by a foreign citizen or a stateless person” has been omitted.
- On page 38, the sentence, “An explicit order from a foreign intelligence service is no longer required in order for the transfer of ‘other’ information (that is, information that does not constitute a state secret) for use against Russia’s security by a foreign national or a stateless person to be considered ‘espionage,’” has been predicated by, “such a transfer made at the behest of an individual ‘acting in the interests’ of a foreign intelligence service can now also be qualified ‘espionage.’”
- On page 38, the sentence, “The council said that the law could be used to penalize unintentional actions of a person who was not aware at the time that the information they obtained was deemed a state secret, especially if it was publicly available,” has been omitted.
- On page 46, in the sentence, “Additionally, the law prohibited cars decorated with white ribbons or other “protest symbols” from driving on the Garden Ring under threat of a fine of up to 600,000 rubles (approximately US$19,500),” the clause, “under threat of a fine of up to 600,000 rubles (approximately US$19,500),” has been omitted.
- April 12, 2013
Human Rights Watch’s April 12 news release incorrectly stated that all women in Saudi Arabia require permission from their male guardian to work. Between 2011-2012, the Saudi ministry of labor issued a series of decrees that allowed women to work in certain sectors without first obtaining guardian approval. However, the decrees reinforced strict sex segregation in the workplace, mandating that female workers not interact with men. Some private sector workplaces remain exempt from these decrees.
- February 20, 2013
The February 20, 2013 report contained the following errors.
- On page 42, the report incorrectly states Mónica Isabel Esquivel Castillo’s co-worker recognized two of three men who abducted her as employees at the factory in Saltillo, Torreon, where they worked. The text now correctly reads that he recognized two men, and that the factory was in Saltillo, Coahuila.
- In the text on p. 44, Human Rights Watch incorrectly stated that the abductions of sisters Perla Liliana Pecina Riojas and Elsa Judith Pecina Riojas, together with Elsa’s husband (Wilfredo Álvarez Valdez) and their two year-old child, occurred in Piedras Negras, Coahuila. The corrected text now states that they were abducted in Saltillo, Coahuila, where Pecina and Alvarez’s child was eventually found (footnote 125).
- On p. 49, Human Rights Watch incorrectly stated Uribe Hernández’s mother filed a complaint regarding missing evidence. The corrected version states that it was Uribe Hernández’s wife who filed the complaint.
- On p. 57, Human Rights Watch incorrectly stated the number of police who were detained under suspicion of their alleged participation in disappearances in Francisco I. Madero, Coahuila, and incorrectly stated that a suspect in the case had been formally charged. The corrected text now reads: “On July 8, prosecutors detained 35 police from Francisco I. Madero for their alleged participation in the June 15 disappearances, nine of whom were later charged in the crime. According to the testimony of a man who allegedly worked for a cartel and was questioned by state prosecutors in connection with the disappearance, the same police officers had also collaborated with members of the Zetas in disappearing Víctor Adrían Rodríguez Moreno, Heber Eusebio Réveles Ramos, and José María Plancarte Sagrero, at the same gas station in Francisco I. Madero, weeks earlier.”
- On p. 62 and in footnotes 209 and 281, Human Rights Watch cited an interview with Francisco Aldaco Juárez and incorrectly stated that he is the brother of victim Antonio Jaime Aldaco Juárez. The corrected text and footnotes now state that Antonio Jaime Aldaco Juárez is Francisco’s uncle.
- In the Acknowledgements section (page 149), Human Rights Watch incorrectly listed the title of Raúl Vera as archbishop. The text has been amended to list “Bishop Raúl Vera López.”
- In the first annex to the report, in the table of disappearances documented by Human Rights Watch, Human Rights Watch has corrected the locations where several disappearances allegedly occurred. The corrected table now states: the disappearances of Wifredo Álvarez Váldez, Elsa Judith Pecina Riojas, and Perla Liliana Pecina Rojas allegedly occurred in Saltillo, Coahuila; the disappearances of José Ángel Esparza León, Héctor Francisco León García, and Daniel Cantú Iris allegedly occurred in Paredon, Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila; and the disappearances of Brandon Esteban Acosta Herrera, Gualberto Acosta Rodríguez, Geraldo Acosta Rodríguez, and Esteban Geraldo Acosta Rodríguez allegedly occurred in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila.
- On footnotes 148, 167 and 183 it incorrectly stated that Alma Garcia was a lawyer. She is a social worker.
- February 6, 2013
The Russia report of February 2013 incorrectly referred to the Migration and Law Network, a program of Memorial Human Rights Center, as "Civic Assistance." The corrected sentences now read:
- p. 24: Soon after, Aliev and the other workers approached the Sochi office of the Migration and Law Network, a program of Memorial Human Rights Center, a Russian non-profit organization that provides assistance to migrant workers, in hopes of recouping some of the wages owed to them.
- p. 25: Two workers from Uzbekistan who worked for SU-45 on the Main Media center site from November 2011 to February 2012 also filed complaints with the help of the Sochi office of Memorial's Migration and Law Network to the Krasnodar Region prosecutor’s office regarding non-payment of wages and illegal dismissal in July and August 2012.
- p. 25: In December 2012, the Sochi office of Memorial's Migration and Law Network appealed to the general prosecutor’s office, which sent the complaint back to the Krasnodar Region prosecutor’s office.
- p. 66: Human Rights Watch expresses its gratitude to Semyen Semenov and Svetlana Gannushkina of the Migration and Law Network, a program of Memorial Human Rights Center, and to the staff of ASTRA Anti-Trafficking Action in Serbia, who provided invaluable assistance in the preparation of this report.
- December 13, 2012
The December 2012 report contained the following errors with regard to the story of Fayegh Roorast, a Kurdish rights activist who was forced to leave Iran:
- Pgs. 41-42, the sentence that previously read, “He said Ministry of Intelligence agents began targeting him around the time of Farzad Kamangar’s execution in May 2010” has been corrected to read, “He said Ministry of Intelligence agents began targeting him around the time when the judiciary sentenced Farzad Kamangar to death, in March 2008.”
- On pg. 42, the following two sentences have been corrected: “On January 25, 2009, intelligence agents entered Roorast’s home in Mahabad and seized his personal belongings. Because Roorast was not there the agents arrested his father.” They instead read, “On January 25, 2009 intelligence agents attacked Roorast’s father’s shop and arrested his father. A little while later they entered Roorast’s home in Mahabad and seized his personal belongings, but did not arrest him at that time.”
- On pg. 43, the two following sentences have been corrected: “Authorities released him on bail during the winter of 2009. He left Iran for Iraqi Kurdistan.” The text now reads, “Authorities released him in early 2010. He left Iran for Iraqi Kurdistan later that summer.”
- October 26, 2012
An October 27, 2012 news release citing satellite imagery identified the area that was attacked in the coastal town of Kyauk Pyu in Arakan State as a “predominantly Rohingya Muslim area.” In fact, the area that was destroyed in Kyauk Pyu was an area predominantly inhabited by ethnic Kaman Muslims. The violence in October in Arakan State involved Arakanese Buddhists with both Rohingya Muslim and Kaman Muslim communities.
- October 11, 2012
The Nigeria report of October 2012 incorrectly stated on page 51 (of the printed version) that two churches in Zaria and two churches in Kaduna were attacked on June 17, 2012. The corrected version reads: “The June 17 attacks on two churches in Zaria and a church in Kaduna killed at least 21 people and set off several days of reprisal and counter-reprisal killings between Christians and Muslims, resulting in some 80 more deaths.”
- October 8, 2012
An October 8, 2012 news release on the conviction of medical personnel in Bahrain incorrectly stated that on June 14, an appellate court had upheld the sentences of nine medics. In fact, the court upheld the charges but reduced the sentences against the medics.
The presser also incorrectly stated that earlier in the year, a court had quashed the sentences of nine others convicted of misdemeanor offenses, while upholding the 15-year sentences of two medics. Rather, all 11 were among the 20 medics who faced felony charges. Additionally, this ruling was also handed down on June 14, not earlier in the year.