• Press release
    Nov 18, 2014
    Police in the Democratic Republic of Congo summarily killed at least 51 youth and forcibly disappeared 33 others during an anti-crime campaign that began a year ago, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. “Operation Likofi,” which lasted from November 2013 to February 2014, targeted alleged gang members in Congo’s capital, Kinshasa.
  • Commentary
    Nov 17, 2014
    One night in 2013, Jeanne was awakened by pounding on the door of her home in Kinshasa, capital of the Democratic Republic of Congo, she told Human Rights Watch in a soft, sad voice. When she asked who was there, the men outside yelled “Police!” They broke down her door and rounded up all the men in the house and beat them, but let them go once they found Jeanne’s 19-year-old grandson, Joseph, whom Jeanne had helped raise. They dragged her grandson outside the house, shot him three times in the chest, and left him dead in the avenue, covered in blood.
  • Impact
    Nov 10, 2014
  • Dispatches
    Oct 22, 2014
  • Press release
    Sep 30, 2014
    Over 100 demobilized combatants, their wives, and children have died from starvation and disease in a remote military camp in the Democratic Republic of Congo after officials failed to provide adequate food and health care.
  • Press release
    Aug 14, 2014
    Burundian authorities should hold accountable those responsible for a 2004 massacre of Congolese refugees. More than 150 refugees, most of them women and children, were killed and more than 100 others injured, on August 13, 2004, at Gatumba, in one of the worst ethnically targeted attacks in Burundi since the 1990s. The leaders of the armed group that claimed responsibility have not been brought to justice.
  • Commentary
    Jul 10, 2014
    It was a warm, sunny Sunday, July 6, and the Netherlands was celebrating the victory of its football team in the quarter finals of the World Cup. Hardly anybody was paying attention as the Dutch authorities put three Congolese men, whose asylum applications had been turned down by the Netherlands’ highest court a week earlier, on a plane and sent them back to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. When they arrived in Congo’s capital, Kinshasa, the men were immediately taken to prison.
  • Press release
    Jul 4, 2014
    The Netherlands’ State Secretary of Security and Justice should use his discretion to delay the deportation of three International Criminal Court (ICC) witnesses, Human Rights Watch said today in a letter to State Secretary Fred Teeven. On June 27, 2014, the highest Dutch court, the State Council, denied the witnesses’ asylum requests and authorized their return to the Democratic Republic of Congo (Congo).
  • Letter
    Jul 4, 2014
  • Press release
    Jul 2, 2014
    Congolese forces and United Nations peacekeepers failed to intervene to stop a nearby attack that killed at least 30 civilians. The attack was in eastern Democratic Republic of Congo’s South Kivu province on June 6, 2014.
  • Dispatches
    Jun 11, 2014
  • Press release
    Jun 10, 2014
    The Democratic Republic of Congo and other governments attending the Global Summit to End Sexual Violence in Conflict should make concrete commitments to justice for Congolese victims, Human Rights Watch said in a report released today. The Global Summit is being held in LoAnchorndon from June 10 to 13, 2014.
  • Backgrounder Briefing
    Jun 10, 2014
  • Press release
    Jun 9, 2014
    The International Criminal Court's confirmation of 18 counts of war crimes and crimes against humanity charges against the warlord Bosco Ntaganda should pave the way for broader justice in war-torn eastern Democratic Republic of Congo.
  • Press release
    Jun 8, 2014
    The London Summit on Ending Sexual Violence in Conflict is a landmark opportunity to strengthen global efforts to end rape in war, Human Rights Watch said today. Governments should use the summit, from June 10 to June 13, 2014, to make strong public commitments to end impunity for sexual violence, assist survivors, and prevent further rapes.
  • Press release
    Jun 4, 2014
    Democratic Republic of Congo authorities should fully and impartially investigate threats and violence against Virunga National Park rangers and local activists. The government should examine whether the incidents are linked to plans to explore for oil within and near Virunga Park by SOCO International, a British oil company operating in eastern Congo.
  • Press release
    May 7, 2014
    Human Rights Watch deeply mourns the passing of Jean-Baptiste Bengehya Mwezi, our operations manager in Goma, eastern Democratic Republic of Congo, who died of a sudden illness on May 6, 2014
  • Press release
    Apr 29, 2014

    US Secretary of State John Kerry should raise concerns about endemic human rights violations when he visits Ethiopia, the Democratic Republic of Congo, and Angola, Human Rights Watch said today. Kerry will visit the three countries from April 29 to May 5, 2014.

     
  • Backgrounder Briefing
    Apr 7, 2014
  • Press release
    Mar 31, 2014
    The Democratic Republic of Congo should adopt a draft law establishing specialized mixed chambers for trying serious rights abuses, 146 Congolese and international organizations said in a joint declaration today. Parliament should also pass a draft law during the current parliamentary session to incorporate the International Criminal Court (ICC) treaty into Congolese law. The parliamentary session began on March 15, 2014.
  • Letter
    Mar 31, 2014
    The 146 undersigned Congolese civil society and international human rights organizations welcome recent commitments by authorities in the Democratic Republic of Congo to ensure justice for war crimes and crimes against humanity. They call on the government to press for adoption of the draft law establishing Specialized Mixed Chambers and the draft law implementing the statute of the International Criminal Court (ICC) during the current parliamentary session, which began on March 15, 2014.
  • Advocacy/impact
    Mar 31, 2014

    The Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) has been the theatre of grave violations of international human rights and humanitarian law over the past two decades. The International Criminal Court (ICC) opened an investigation in Congo in 2004 and has brought public arrest warrants against six individuals involved in grave crimes in Congo’s Ituri district in the northeast and North and South Kivu provinces in the east.

  • Backgrounder Briefing
    Mar 28, 2014
  • Written statement
    Mar 13, 2014
  • Press release
    Mar 7, 2014
    The guilty verdict against a Congolese rebel leader at the International Criminal Court provides a measure of justice to victims of atrocities in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
  • Press release
    Feb 25, 2014
    President Omar al-Bashir of Sudan arrived in the Democratic Republic of Congo today for a conference of the Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA), Congolese media reported. Bashir faces charges by the International Criminal Court (ICC) of genocide, war crimes, and crimes against humanity allegedly committed in Darfur, in Sudan.
  • Dispatches
    Feb 10, 2014
  • Q & A
    Feb 6, 2014
  • Letter
    Jan 29, 2014