• Sep 5, 2012
    Press release
    The United States government during the Bush administration tortured opponents of Muammar Gaddafi, then transferred them to mistreatment in Libya, according to accounts by former detainees and recently uncovered CIA and UK Secret Service documents, Human Rights Watch said in its 154-page report, “Delivered into Enemy Hands: US-Led Abuse and Rendition of Opponents to Gaddafi’s Libya.”
  • Jun 29, 2012
    Press release
    More than 140 countries have passed counterterrorism laws since the attacks of September 11, 2001, often with little regard for due process and other basic rights, Human Rights Watch said in its 112-page report, "In the Name of Security: Counterterrorism Laws Worldwide since September 11."
  • May 4, 2012
    Press release
    The fatal bombing that occurred in Makhachkala, the capital of Russia’s southern republic of Dagestan, on May 3, 2012, is an abominable crime for which there is no justification.
  • Dec 1, 2011
    Press release
    US President Barack Obama should hold firm on his promise to veto a bill passed by the Senate on December 1, 2011, which contains provisions on the detention of terrorism suspects that would undermine US counterterrorism efforts. The administration had previously outlined objections to the detainee provisions in the bill, the National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) for 2012, and threatened a veto if the problems were not addressed.
  • Sep 28, 2011
    Press release
    A Libyan-Canadian citizen who was imprisoned for eight years by the Muammar Gaddafi government says that agents from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS) were among foreign agents who interrogated him while he was in Libyan custody for suspected terrorist ties.
  • Sep 24, 2011
    Press release
    The Canadian government should be prepared to bring criminal charges against former US Vice President Dick Cheney for his alleged role in the torture of detainees when he visits Vancouver on September 26, 2011.
  • Sep 8, 2011
    Press release
    A decade’s perspective highlights the enormous damage that the attacks of September 11, 2001 did to the human rights cause.
  • Apr 29, 2011
    Press release
    The bombing in Marrakesh on April 28, 2011, was a heinous attack on the population and an assault on basic human rights.
  • Apr 18, 2011
    Press release
    The prosecution of hundreds of officials, activists, and elected mayors from the pro-Kurdish Peace and Democracy Party (BDP) highlights the problems associated with Turkey’s overbroad antiterrorism laws.
  • Apr 4, 2011
    Press release
    The Obama administration’s decision to prosecute the five men accused of plotting the September 11, 2001 attacks on the United States before a military commission is a serious setback for justice. Reversing his November 2009 announcement that the men would be tried in federal court in New York, Attorney General Eric Holder announced on April 4, 2011 that the suspects will face trials before a military commission at Guantanamo Bay.