• Nov 6, 2012
    Press release

    Members of the United Nations Security Council should send a strong message to Libya to cooperate with the International Criminal Court (ICC). The Council should also press the recently appointed Libyan authorities on accountability for serious and ongoing crimes.The new ICC prosecutor, Fatou Bensouda, will brief the Security Council on her Libya investigation on November 7, 2012.

     

  • Oct 16, 2012
    Press release

    New evidence collected by Human Rights Watch implicates Misrata-based militias in the apparent execution of dozens of detainees following the capture and death of Muammar Gaddafi one year ago.

  • Jul 24, 2012
    Commentary
    No doubt Libya’s transition will have dramatic twists and turns. Regionalism, poverty and well-armed militias pose serious threats. But this month Libyans took an important step to transform their country from the domain of one man to the home of many.
  • Jul 3, 2012
    Press release
    The release by Libyan authorities of four International Criminal Court (ICC) staff members on July 2, 2012, was a positive move, but their detention appears to have been unlawful from the start. The court officials, who had been held in the town of Zintan since June 7, flew out of Libya on a plane provided by the Italian government.
  • May 24, 2012
    Letter

    We are writing in regard to your investigation of grave abuses committed in Libya to draw your attention to a matter of deep concern having to do with impunity for crimes there. We believe there are serious consequences for your mandate as authorized by United Nations Security Council resolution 1970.

  • May 16, 2012
    Press release
    Members of the United Nations Security Council should condemn attempts by the Libyan National Transitional Council (NTC) to prevent accountability for serious and ongoing crimes committed in Libya. The International Criminal Court (ICC) prosecutor, Luis Moreno-Ocampo, will brief the Security Council on his Libya investigation on May 16, 2012.
  • May 10, 2012
    Press release
    Libya’s National Transitional Council (NTC) should immediately amend a new law that protects from prosecution people who committed crimes if their actions were aimed at “promoting or protecting the revolution” against Muammar Gaddafi. The law also allows authorities to detain people for up to two months if they are considered “threats to security.”
  • Apr 10, 2012
    Letter

    The Misrata Local Council received with great interest the letter from Human Rights Watch to the city’s local council and military council. The letter explicitly accused the revolutionaries of Misrata of perpetrating several violations and crimes that may amount to crimes against humanity. The letter concluded by threatening to hold officials on the city’s local council and military council responsible for these abuses and the failure to stop and prevent them.

  • Apr 8, 2012
    Press release

    The leaders of the Libyan city of Misrata could be held criminally responsible for ongoing serious crimes by forces under their command, Human Rights Watch said today in a letter to the city’s military and civilian leaders. They could be held responsible by authorities that include the International Criminal Court (ICC), Human Rights Watch said.

  • Apr 8, 2012
    Letter
    Human Rights Watch is writing to raise concerns about serious crimes that have been and continue to be committed by armed groups from Misrata, some of them amounting to crimes against humanity. As the civilian and military leadership in the city, we urge you to take immediate steps to halt the commission of these crimes, and to support prosecution of those responsible. We emphasize that senior officials, such as yourself, could be held criminally responsible for ordering these crimes, or for failing to prevent or punish them, by courts including the International Criminal Court (ICC) in The Hague.