Letter to the Congolese Minister of Justice and Human Rights from Faradje Civil Society, Formal complaint against LRA Commander Charles Arop, March 13, 2010. [Translation]
DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF CONGO Faradje, March 13, 2010
HAUT UELE DISTRICT
CIVIL SOCIETY COORDINATION
No. 03 / Coord / Soci / Frdje / 2010
Sent / copied to:
- His Excellency, the President of the National Assembly in KINSHASA;
- Their excellencies, National Parliamentarians of Faradje Territory in KINSHASA (ALL);
- His Excellency the Minister of Human Rights in KINSHASA;
- The Researcher and Representative of the Africa Division of Human Rights Watch in GOMA;
- His Excellency, the President of the Provincial Assembly of Province Orientale in KISANGANI;
- Their Excellencies, Provincial Parliamentarians of Faradje Territory in KISANGANI (ALL);
- His Excellency the Governor of Province Orientale in KISANGANI;
- His Excellency the Provincial Minister of Human Rights in KISANGANI;
- The District Commissioner of Haut Uélé District in ISIRO;
- The Territorial Administrator of Faradje Territory in FARADJE;
- The Heads of Chieftaincies of Faradje Territory (ALL).
Re: Complaint against Charles AROP, Commander of the LRA Operation in Faradje
To His Excellency the Minister of Justice in KINSHASA
We, the disaster-stricken population of Faradje Territory, submit the aforementioned complaint before your Benevolent Authority.
The arrival of the LRA into Faradje Territory, with its heinous crimes and indescribable destruction, has led to an unprecedented loss of human life and material damage.
Your Excellency, this exceedingly disastrous situation has caused horrible catastrophes of which no one can claim to be unaware, namely:
1. The loss of human life (kidnappings, killings, etc);
2. Sexual violence;
3. Pillage of goods;
4. Burning and malicious destruction of homes ...
These abuses have resulted in further harmful consequences: Massive displacement of the civilian population in all directions; homeless people living in conditions not only difficult, but completely inhuman; increased food shortage; disruption to children’s schooling; and lack of access to primary health care, amongst others.
As a result, Your Excellency, the population of Faradje Territory submits to you this formal complaint against Lt. Col. Charles AROP, who commanded these violent acts in the said Territory, so that he may be prosecuted and brought to justice in order that responsibility is determined and to allow the peaceful population to obtain reparations in accordance with the material interest of the victims.
We hope we will receive a satisfactory response from you.
FOR THE COORDINATION OF CIVIL SOCIETY
IN FARADJE TERRITORY
Mathieu KAMBA TAMARU
[Signed by 186 victims and residents of Faradje]