Arbitrary Arrests, Torture, and Enforced Disappearances in Syria’s Underground Prisons since March 2011
This report is based on more than 200 interviews conducted by Human Rights Watch since the beginning of anti-government demonstrations in Syria in March 2011. The report includes maps locating the detention facilities, video accounts from former detainees, and sketches of torture techniques described by numerous people who witnessed or experienced torture in these facilities.
Human Rights Watch called on the United Nations Security Council to refer the situation in Syria to the International Criminal Court (ICC) and to adopt targeted sanctions against officials credibly implicated in the abuses.
Read the Report
Get the Report
- Torture Archipelago
- I. Arrest, Detention, and Torture in Syria
- II. Syria’s Detention Facilities
- Department of Military Intelligence
- Air Force Intelligence Directorate
- Political Security Directorate
- General Intelligence Directorate
- Ad Hoc and Joint Detention Facilities