Insecurity and Human Rights in Southern Sudan
This 44-page report documents the most pressing human rights challenges facing the SPLM-led Government of Southern Sudan. The problems include an inability to protect civilians effectively from armed attacks and violence, a failure to address abuses by security forces, and a weak justice system. The report also outlines national legal reforms urgently needed to permit free and fair elections, currently scheduled for mid 2009.
Get the Report
- "There is No Protection"
- I. Acronyms
- II. Summary
- III. Recommendations
- IV. Methodology
- V. Background
- VI. Context: Southern Sudan's Fragile Security Environment
- VII. Southern Sudan's Human Rights Challenges
- VIII. Abuses by Security Forces
- IX. Abusive Practices in the Administration of Justice
- X. Lack of Accountability for Human Rights Violations
- XI. The Role of UN and International Donors