Relentless Violence and Impunity in Manipur
This 79-page report documents the failure of justice in the state, where for 50 years the army, empowered and protected by the Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act (AFSPA), has committed numerous serious human rights violations. The report details the failure of justice in the killing and possible rape of alleged militant Thangjam Manorama Devi by the paramilitary Assam Rifles in 2004. Repeated attempts to identify and punish those responsible for her death have been stalled by the army, which has received protection under the immunity provisions of the AFSPA.
- "These Fellows Must Be Eliminated"
- Manipur District Map
- I. Summary
- II. Background: Conflict in Manipur
- III. The Killing of Thangjam Manorama Devi
- IV. Human Rights Violations by Government Forces in Manipur
- V. The Armed Forces (Special Powers) Act
- VI. Recommendations
- Appendix: Habeas Corpus Petitions in the Gauhati High Court on Enforced Disappearances in Manipur as of August 2008