Angola's Reluctant Return to Elections
This 45-page report documents how the MPLA-dominated National Electoral Commission (CNE) failed to perform as an independent oversight body in those elections. The commission took no action against violations, including the ruling party's abuse of state media and resources, and obstructed the accreditation of national observers. There were numerous logistical and procedural flaws during voting, counting, and tabulation. The electoral body announced a commission of inquiry into the election flaws, but has not published any report of its work.
Get the Report
- Democracy or Monopoly?
- Glossary of Acronyms
- I. Executive Summary
- II. Methodology
- III. Background
- IV. Electoral Institutions and the Legal Environment
- V. Violations of Media Freedom in the 2008 Election
- VI. Flaws in the 2008 Election Process
- VII. Election-Related Violence in Huambo and Benguela
- VIII. Ongoing Armed Insurgency and Intimidation in Cabinda
- IX. Recommendations