The Restriction of Political Space in the Democratic Republic of Congo
This 96-page report documents the Kabila government's use of violence and intimidation to eliminate political opponents. Human Rights Watch found that Kabila himself set the tone and direction by giving orders to "crush" or "neutralize" the "enemies of democracy," implying it was acceptable to use unlawful force against them.
- "We Will Crush You"
- Map of the Democratic Republic of Congo
- I. Summary
- II. Recommendations
- III. Prelude to Violence: A Climate of Suspicion
- IV. Crushing Jean-Pierre Bemba and his Supporters
- V. Crackdown on the BDK in Bas Congo
- VI. Applicable Legal Standards
- VII. The Role of the International Community