Sexual Violence by Rebels and Pro-Government Forces in Côte d’Ivoire
Pro-government and rebel forces in Côte d’Ivoire have subjected thousands of women and girls to rape and other brutal sexual assaults with impunity. This 135-page report details the widespread nature of sexual violence throughout the five-year military-political crisis. The report, which is based on interviews with more than 180 victims and witnesses, documents how women and girls have been subjected to individual and gang rape, sexual slavery, forced incest and other egregious sexual assaults.
- "My Heart Is Cut"
- Glossary of Acronyms
- Executive Summary
- General Background on the Conflict in Cote d'Ivoire
- Sexual Violence during the Ivorian Military-Political Crisis
- Effects of Sexual Violence on Survivors and the Need for Services
- Impunity and the Need for Justice
- International Legal Prohibitions against Sexual Violence
- Annex: Definition of Terms