- Investigate all allegations of torture,
sexual assault, and ill-treatment of detainees and prosecute those responsible
in accordance with the law.
- Put in place workable mechanisms to ensure
the protection of detainees and other individuals who wish to file a complaint
against the police for abuse or mistreatment.
- Investigate all arrests under the amendment
to article 198 for procedural violations, including arrests in the absence of
evidence, arrests without warrants, and forced confessions; and prosecute those
responsible in accordance with the law.
Ministry of Justice
- Investigate all convictions under article
198 for procedural violations, including convictions in the absence of
evidence, arrests without warrants, and forced confessions; and overturn all convictions
that do not fulfill procedural requirements.
Ministry of Interior
- Issue a directive at all levels of the
police force to refrain from active investigation or pursuit of charges against
transsexuals for “imitating the opposite sex.”
Ministry of Health
- Seek assurances from the Ministry of
Interior that would ensure that, until its repeal, amended article 198 is not applied to anyone who has been diagnosed with gender
- Issue official cards for transgender
individuals identifying them as such that prevent arrest by the police.
- Adopt internationally recognized standards of
health care for transgenders such as the World Professional Association for
Transgender Health’s Standards
of Care for the Health of Transsexual, Transgender, and Gender Nonconforming
- Ensure that training in accordance with
recognized international standards of health care and human rights is available
to health service professionals, including psychologists, psychiatrists and
general practitioners, as well as social workers, with regard to the specific
needs and rights of transgender persons and the requirement to respect their
- Ensure that transgender people have access
to the medical and psychological assistance and support they require, and that
such support and assistance is available to transgender individuals within a
To the National
- Instate an immediate moratorium on arrests
of individuals under the amendment to article 198 of the Penal Code, which
criminalizes “imitating the opposite sex.”
- End discrimination against transgender
individuals by repealing the amendment to article 198.
- Allow individuals diagnosed with Gender Identity
Disorder (GID) to undergo sex reassignment surgery.
- Allow individuals diagnosed with GID to
change their gender in all legal documents.