The Chin People of Burma: Unsafe in Burma, Unprotected in India
In this 93-page report, Human Rights Watch documents a wide range of human rights abuses carried out by the Burmese army and government officials. The abuses include forced labor, arbitrary arrests and detention, torture, religious repression and other restrictions on fundamental freedoms. In Mizoram state, India, Chin people remain at risk of discrimination and abuse by local Mizo groups and local authorities, and of being forced back across the border into Burma.
Get the Report
- "We Are Like Forgotten People"
- Map of Chin State, Burma, and Mizoram State, India
- Map of the Original Territory of Ethnic Chin Tribes
- I. Summary
- II. Background
- III. Abuses Committed by the Tatmadaw (Burmese Army)
- IV. Abuses Committed by Ethnic Opposition Groups
- V. Life for Chin in Mizoram
- VIII. Appendix