Search Results

Sort by
News

Resolve ‘Disappearances’, Grant Access to Detention Sites

(Beirut) – The UAE supports Yemeni forces that have arbitrarily detained, forcibly disappeared, tortured, and abused dozens of people during security operations, Human Rights Watch said today. The UAE finances, arms, and trains these forces, which…
Hadrami elite forces guard Mukalla from Al-Qaeda by creating check-points.
Video
Human Rights Watch is a nonprofit, nongovernmental human rights organization made up of roughly 400 staff members around the globe. Its staff consists of human rights professionals including country experts, lawyers, journalists, and academics of diverse…
News

All Sides Should Comply with Mine Ban Treaty, Reject Weapon’s Use

(Beirut) – The use of landmines by Houthi forces and their allies in Yemen’s third-largest city of Taizz has caused numerous civilian casualties and hinders the return of families displaced by the fighting. The Houthis, also known as Ansar Allah, and…
MENA ARMS Yemen Landmines Sept 2016 photo-6
News

Persons with Disabilities in Humanitarian Emergencies

Click to expand Image Ambroise, a 27-year-old man with a physical…
Safi, 30, (right) a Syrian refugee from Aleppo, walks on highway M1 near Budapest, Hungary in an attempt to reach Vienna, Austria by foot.
News

Coalition Airstrike Shows Added Risks for People With Disabilities

(Beirut) – Yemen’s Houthis unlawfully placed a school for blind students in Sanaa at grave risk by basing militia forces in the facility’s compound. A Saudi Arabia-led coalition bomb that hit the compound on January 5, 2016, did not explode, but injured…
A corridor in the the al-Noor Center for the Blind sustained damage from a Saudi-coalition airstrike in Sanaa, Yemen on January 5, 2016. © 2016 Abdullah Qaid/Human Rights Watch
News
The British government’s concern for the safety and well-being of the Yemeni people – already extremely feeble – reached a new low this week. In Geneva, Britain failed to actively promote a Dutch resolution at the United Nations Human Rights Council that…
Damaged buildings in Yemen's southern port city of Aden, May 8, 2015.
News
“Every day is getting worse,” Rajaa Mosaabi, the chairwoman of the Arab Human Rights Foundation, based in Sanaa, told me by phone this morning about the deteriorating situation in Yemen. “Today alone I heard 20 to 25 bombs explode all around my home.”…
A neighbor, Ayed Ayed Kamil, stands amid the rubble of the destroyed al-Ibbi family home. © 2015 Ole Solvang/Human Rights Watch
News

New Video Captures Anguish of Detainees’ Families

(Washington, DC) – The US should expedite the return of Yemeni detainees cleared for release from Guantanamo Bay, Human Rights Watch said today in a letter to President Barack Obama. Human Rights Watch released a video showing the plight of families of…
News

Detainees Held 18 Months Without Charge

UPDATE: On June 6, 2013, the Yemeni government released 17 hunger-striking detainees who had been held for 18 months without charge. Five other detainees who had been part of the hunger strike remain in detention.
 
 (Beirut) – Prison officials in…
News

The family of a Gitmo detainee twice cleared for transfer remains pessimistic, despite Obama's speech vowing reform

Muhammad al-Baidhani, an 11-year-old Yemeni boy with a mop of brown curls, only knows his father from photos and a one-hour video conference every two months. Before Muhammad was born, his father was captured and sent to the U.S. military prison at…
News
As the world was gripped this week by the storming of U.S. diplomatic compounds in the Middle East, another troubling event that coincided with the September 11 anniversary unfolded largely unnoticed at the U.S. military prison at Guantanamo Bay.
…
News
New York - Even as US President Barack Obama declared that "the world is safer" without Osama bin Laden, his Homeland Security office was bracing for a possible revenge attack.
 
 The United States and other potential targets are right to be…