Appendix 1: An example of the fake or anonymous letters blamed for increasing tensions. This is a translation of a letter purporting to be a secret strategy document for the Christian take-over of Poso. The letter also seeks to discredit Christian members of the armed forces.
SECRET TOP SECRET AND SECRET
Intended to be known by all levels of Christian society in Poso, that the program and final goal of the Poso Christian struggle to make a CHRISTIAN Central Sulawesi Province is the responsibility of all Christians.
For this, we are all ordered to unify our understanding for the sake of the blood of Jesus Christ, dead or alive whoever blocks our struggle we must stamp from the face of the earth. For this, the following requires attention:
Code: a red headband or armband
Call: "Jesus," answer "yes"
a. Target: Disrupt Poso town and eliminate Islam (Muslim leaders)
b. Pastors: Disguise as Muslim leaders (proselytizers)
c. Houses of worship (Mosques) are not to be destroyed, because they will be useful for us, including schools
d. Christians that are among Muslims, keep waiting there until our soldiers join together.
1. Poso town and its surroundings. 2. Ampana and its surroundings
3. Parigi subdistrict and its surroundings. 4. Poso Pesisir subdistrict and surroundings.
5. Lage subdistrict and its surroundings. 6. Ulubongka and its surroundings and Tojo subdistrict is destined to become our base of defense, centered in Tanamawau, Buyutaripa, and PHB Gandalari and Malewa.
And residents of Tojo subdistrict we will expel all Muslims
7. We force them to join and become Christian.
8. All village imams and religious teachers, and Muslim village heads. 9. ABRI [Indonesian army] officials, we especially watch the Muslim ones because the Christians already have the mission, in time they will become KILLERS, and for this, provide our Christian officers with services if they ask for help.
And to Muslim security forces we will give material support in the form of money so that they don't block our struggle, if needed we will give them freedom with our daughters. REMEMBER!! We can influence Muslim security forces.
Continue attacks at Malei, based on the decision of the Church council and CHRISTIAN leaders at Kelei on July 12, 2000. Once again it is submitted to the Christian community to stay on alert with weapons we already have and keep them secret. -
LONG LIVE THE INDONESIA MILITARY AND GOOD LUCK IN OUR WORK
HALLELUJAH HALLELUJAH, In the NAME OF THE BLOOD OF OUR JESUS WE STRUGGLE
An. Jakarta and Salatiga Leaders
Pastor . -
(AF . . . . . . . R.)