United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194 (III) of 11 December 1948
11. Resolves that the refugees wishing to return to their homes and live at peace with their neighbours should be permitted to do so at the earliest practicable date, and that compensation should be paid for the property of those choosing not to return and for loss of or damage to property which, under principles of international law or in equity, should be made good by the Governments or authorities responsible;
Instructs the Conciliation Commission to facilitate the repatriation, resettlement and economic and social rehabilitation of the refugees and the payment of compensation, and to maintain close relations with the Director of the United Nations Relief for Palestine Refugees and, through him, with the appropriate organs and agencies of the United Nations;
- The Universal Declaration of Human Rights (10 December 1948)
The right to return has a solid foundation in international law. Article 13(2) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) states,
"Everyone has the right to leave any country, including his own, and to return to his country". More..
- The International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights
The right to return is most clearly enshrined in the 1966 International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights (ICCPR) under its provisions on the right to freedom of movement (Article 12). More..
- Convention Relating to the Status of Refugees (28 July 1951)
International refugee law and international human rights law mutually reinforce each other on the right to return. More..
- United Nations General Assembly Resolution 194 (III) of 11 December 1948
11. Resolves that the refugees wishing to return to their homes and live at peace with their neighbours should be permitted to do so at the earliest practicable date,..
- The Human Rights Committee General Comment on Article 12 of the International Covenant on civil and Political Rights (November 1999)
In November 1999 the HRC, the authoritative U.N. body for interpreting the ICCPR, produced a thorough and comprehensive commentary on Article 12. More..
- Treatment and Rights in Arab Host States
- Rights Under Israeli Occupation and the Palestinian Authority