The Global Advocacy Division of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a highly-qualified applicant for the position of Coordinator to provide administrative, research, and clerical assistance, with a primary focus on advocacy at the United Nations in New York. This position reports to the Deputy Director for Global Advocacy and the United Nations Director, and also provides support to other members of the Global Advocacy division.
1. Providing administrative and clerical assistance to support the Deputy Director for Global Advocacy, the United Nations Director, and the Deputy United Nations Director;
2. Overseeing HRW’s UN accreditation, including preparing periodic reports on the organization’s activities at the UN, responding to external inquiries, and arranging for temporary UN passes for HRW staff;
3. Coordinating and making travel arrangements for research and advocacy trips;
4. Scheduling, preparing, and taking notes at meetings;
5. Preparing, drafting, editing, formatting, and distributing documents such as news releases, reports, letters, briefing papers, op-eds, and other publications, and arrange translations of completed documents;
6. Maintaining the United Nations webpage on the HRW website;
7. Conducting spot research on a broad range of topics; and occasionally undertaking larger research projects;
8. Monitoring international and UN news and information services; and tracking UN policy debates;
9. Attending external working-group meetings and occasionally representing HRW at other meetings and events;
10. Assisting with special events, including press conferences, staff retreats, and side events;
11. Recruiting and supervising interns;
12. Assisting with hiring of other positions as needed;
13. Processing departmental finances and submitting expenses for payment;
14. Creating and maintaining extensive filing and archiving systems for contacts and documents;
15. Word processing and other administrative duties, including photocopying; filing; faxing; answering phones; processing incoming mail; and
16. Carrying out other duties as required.
Education: Bachelor’s degree in International Relations, Area studies, Political Science, or a related field is required.
Experience: Minimum 2 years of relevant work experience. Experience working in different regions/cultural contexts is helpful. Knowledge of one or more UN languages beyond English is desirable.
Required Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required.
2. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
3. Interest in international relations and human rights is required. Related experience with the United Nations or a diplomatic mission is highly desirable.
4. Strong interpersonal skills are required.
5. Significant level of independent judgment and discretion, as well as tact, diplomacy, and maturity in dealing with colleagues at all levels of the organization is required.
6. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously.
7. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions.
8. Ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally.
9. Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current US work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $47,572. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days vacation per year.
How to Apply
Contact: Please submit a cover letter explaining your interest for the job, curriculum vitae, a brief writing sample (unedited by others), and contact information for three references to email@example.com. Please use “Coordinator Ref: ADV-16-1010” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.