The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (“HRW”), an international human rights organization, is seeking an Associate to provide administrative and clerical assistance in the Amsterdam office. The Amsterdam office represents HRW in the Netherlands. The office consist of a small team that is primarily responsible for activities pertaining to fundraising (development), but also engages in press and advocacy work. The Associate position is the junior administrative position supporting the staff of the office in fundraising as well as on Dutch Human Rights policies. Additionally, the successful candidate will organize one of HRW’s biggest annual events, the HRWeekend, assist with the organization of the annual benefit gala, and manage visits of international HRW staff. This is an amazing job for a person with ambition who wants to work hard and aims to have a career in fundraising in the NGO sector, international relations, or human rights. This position reports to the Netherlands Senior Director of Development.
1. Assist with the organization and coordination of logistics for special events in the Netherlands, such as meetings, (fundraising) events and annual dinners;
2. Manage the HRWeekend annual event by assisting with the development of the program; engaging with speakers, directors, producers, sponsors and guests; organizing the trip and hotel accommodations for guest;working with venues and partner organization; engaging with press; and the promotion of the program;
3. Oversee preparation of marketing and event related materials;
4. Manage the administration ofall gifts; processing, tracking and acknowledging gifts using HRW’s database; ensuring accurate and timely recording of all, gifts, contact information and providing reports when necessary;
5. Respond to requests for information, creation of mailings, and corresponding with donors, foundations, friends, journalists, policy makers, politicians and partners.;
6. Provide support including scheduling internal and external meetings, creating agendas, preparing background materials and presentations, drafting minutes and conducting follow-up meetings;
7. Coordinate and manage the development of content for newsletters, mailings, programs, presentations, and promotional materials;
8. Assist with departmental hiring and training and oversee departmental interns;
9. Process expenses, answer phones and emails and process incoming development mail;
10. Assist with travel arrangements and follow-up;
11. Maintain extensive files, contact lists and databases;
12. Perform tasks including filing, photocopying, scanning, word processing, maintaining databases, maintaining contact lists and subscriptions, bulk mailings, report filing and tracking; and
13. Carry out other duties as required
Education: A relevant bachelor’s degree is required.
Experience: Prior administrative or office experience in a demanding and fast paced environment is required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English and Dutch are required.
2. Strong interpersonal skills, energy and attention to details are required.
3. Strong organizational, administrative and financial skills are required.
4. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
5. Ability to take initiative, prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team is required.
6. Experience in fundraising is desirable.
8. Good judgment, discretion and the ability to maintain confidentiality are required.
9. Proficiency in computer packages including MS Office applications is required.
10. Strong interest in international human rights is desirable.
12. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
Other: Applicants for this position must possess current Dutch work authorization valid for a minimum of two years from start date.
Salary and Benefits: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers comprehensive compensation and benefits.
How to Apply
Contact: Please submit a cover letter, CV, a brief writing sample of half a page (unedited by others) and contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application in ONE attached document to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Associate Amsterdam Ref DEV-15-1083” as the subject of your email.