Human Rights Violations in Azad Kashmir
This 71-page report, based on research in Azad Kashmir, uncovers abuses by the Pakistani military, intelligence services and militant organizations. In Azad Kashmir, a region largely closed to international scrutiny until a devastating earthquake hit in 2005, the Pakistani government represses democratic freedoms, muzzles the press and practices routine torture.
Get the Report
- "With Friends Like These…"
- Map of the Districts of Azad Kashmir
- I. Summary
- II. Background
- III. Constitutional Structure of Azad Kashmir and Its Relationship to Pakistan
- IV. Restrictions on Freedom of Expression
- V. Restrictions on the Right to Participate in Elections and Related Abuses
- VI. Torture and Other Forms of Mistreatment
- VII. Discrimination and Abuse Against Post-1989 Refugees
- VIII. Detailed Recommendations