Middle East and North Africa Division
(Location: TBD, preferably Amman or Beirut)
Application Deadline: September 15, 2014
Human Rights Watch (“HRW”) is seeking a part-time Media Associate to maintain media outreach and a social media presence in the Middle East and North Africa (“MENA”) region. This position will report to the Director of the MENA Advocacy and Communication Division. The position will preferably be based in the MENA region (Amman or Beirut).
Media Outreach Responsibilities:
1. Map and identify influential media in the region and communicate with big media outlets based on the political affiliations of each,as needed;
2. Maintain and update HRW’s media lists in MENA, with HRW Press and Researchers; and
3. Place articles, op-eds or pressers generally in relevant media outlets.
Social Media Responsibilities:
2. Make connections with influential twitter outlets;
3. Translate photo essay captions and video subtitles, publish to the HRW website, and promote in social media, in conjunction with HRW’s Multimedia division; and
4. Compile a monthly report of most largely debated issues on/in social media in the Arab World, particularly in the Arabic language, through providing quantitative and qualitative analysis of the debated issues and level of users’ engagement in these debates to identify changing trends in social media.
Education: A university education or its equivalent in journalism, social sciences, international relations or relevant studies is highly desirable.
Experience: Minimum one year of directly-related experience as a social media manager with a good knowledge of the Middle East and North Africa region media landscape.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Knowledge of who’s who in the MENA media landscape.
2. Familiarity with social media dashboards such as Hootsuite, Tweet Deck, etc.
3. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required. Proficiency in Arabic is strongly desired.
4. Strong interpersonal skills, in order to work collaboratively within HRW as well as with local partners, government officials, and others.
5. Ability to multi-task effectively, including having good planning and organizing skills and ability to work under pressure are required.
Salary: HRW seeks exceptional applicants and offers competitive compensation.
Contact: Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae including your twitter handle and references to other social media pages managed, salary requirements, and contact information for three references to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “Media Associate Ref MENA-14-1039-A” as the subject of your email.
Only complete applications will be reviewed and only qualified candidates will be contacted.
Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible workforce, actively seeks a diverse applicant pool.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.